Sunday, November 25, 2012

What to think about An Inconvenient Hero On A Wire

Recently, I viewed the films: Hero, An Inconvenient Truth, and Man on Wire. Thinking back on all of the films, Hero and Man on Wire were by far the most entertaining. I felt as if I was being lectured on how terrible i am to the environment in An Inconvenient Truth. Nonetheless, each film brought its own special piece of film making to the table.

In Hero, I found the "Kung-Fu" to be quite over dramatized. Having Jet-Li starring should have been the first clue to expect fake fights. However, the color scheme played a huge role in the plot line of the film. Each time the story of the assassins was told, the color scheme was changed to match the mood of the person who was telling the story. When Jet-Li told it, the colors were reddish, invoking the inner anger of the audience. When the king told it, the colors were blue, letting us know that the mood was calm. In this sense, I appreciated the movie more than I would have if it were simply an action movie.

In all honesty, Man on Wire was nothing more than an informative entertainment piece to me. I feel as if the story was played up more than it would have been if it were simply a retelling. The recreations seem to be unrealistic, especially when the two men are sneaking in front of the cops. In this sense, I could not really stand to watch this film. It was okay from an entertainment perspective, but nothing more. (by the way, were police officers really this bad during that time? It seems way to dramatic when they go up the building.)

Finally, I will talk about the work of Al Gore's life, An Inconvenient Truth. Besides the guilt trip on Americans (he did have every right to), I found this documentary quite informative. His presentation was really good for a man who was known to put people to sleep. The graphs, pictures, and statistics paint a picture for Americans on how our ways are affecting the global climate. I can also appreciate the personal side of Gore tying into the plot of the film. Having a personal touch to a sensitive subject really helped his credibility when talking about how family members have died and so on and so forth. This documentary was actually pretty fascinating and I did enjoy this one the best out of all three.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure what you mean by "way [too] dramatic," so it's hard to answer your question. As I said in another post, we can't be too hard on the security. This was in the early seventies, a time without any national security risk to America within its borders. Security would have been more concerned with people taking things OUT of the building than INTO the building, which was still under construction.

    ReplyDelete